Freshman Admission Requirements
Applicants are considered for admission after the following credentials have been received:
1. Completed application;
2. Official high school transcript and class rank (with confirmation of receipt of a valid high school diploma) or GED certificate. A student who is attending high school and has not yet graduated can be considered for admission pending completion of required courses; and
3. SAT I combined (Critical Reading + Mathematics) score or ACT score.
4. Nonrefundable $25.00 application fee
High School Course Requirements
- English 4 units
- Mathematics 4 units (Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and Algebra III, Trigonometry, Precalculus, Calculus, Statistics, or Discrete Mathematics or capstone mathematics)
- Laboratory Science 3 units (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and /or a prerequisite of Biology or Chemistry.
- Foreign Language 2 units (same language)
- Social Studies 3 units (U.S. History, Economics and Government and recommended, and one other unit)
- Electives 4 units (Advanced Mathematics, Computer Science, English, Fine Arts, Foreign Languages, Humanities or Laboratory Sciences).
- PE or ROTC 1 unit
For specific information on the different categories of admissions, contact the Office of Admissions, Recruitment and Scholarships.
College Preparatory Course Prerequisites Requirements
The South Carolina Commission of Higher Education mandates that all incoming freshman meet certain minimum course requirements along with a high school diploma.
All undergraduate applicants applying for admission as new freshmen are required to take either the SAT I or ACT test. Those who have taken one of these tests and wish to be considered for admission to the University must have an official transcript mailed directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Applicants are urged to apply for and complete the required examinations well in advance of the semester for which they seek admission. These examinations are administered nationally on established schedules with a closing date for each administration. Information may be obtained from high school guidance counselors, at these agencies’ web sites, or by writing or calling directly. Candidates for admission must request that the results of the SAT or ACT tests be sent to SC State University. The University's SAT code number is 5618 and the ACT code number is 3876. The admissions committee can not make a decision on a candidate until all of the required documents have been received.
Students who have been out of high school for more than five (5) years are not required to submit SAT I or ACT scores for the purpose of admission.