Call for Papers:
America’s southern cultures and identities: language, customs, literature.
The organizing committee is soliciting proposals for 20-minute presentations on topics related to language, culture, dialects, literature, film, communities, and other areas that highlight research and documentation studies on South Carolina’s cultures, communities, and languages, as well as Southern regional cultures, languages and communities. Please send a 250-300 word abstract by March 1, 2017 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following:
- Name and affiliation of the presenter
- Email address
- Title of the presentation
- AV equipment requests, if any
Possible topic areas include:
- Southern Regional Cultures
- Southern Regional literatures
- South Carolina literatures
- African-American Cultures
- European ethnic communities of The South
- Caucasian-American communities of The South
- Hispanic Cultures/Language Variation within Latino communities
- Jewish Cultures
- Islamic Cultures and Communities
- Native American Cultures
- Gullah/Geechee Cultures and dialects
- Non-standard Southern or South Carolina dialects
- Regional dialects of South Carolina
- Languages of Native American ethnic groups
- South-Eastern Regional Cultures and Languages
- SC and Southern wedding, reunion, funeral traditions
- Regional language varieties
- Culture through literature
- South Carolina authors
- Culture and language through film
- Culture and language from the perspective of broadcast and journalism studies
- The Geechee Culture and its influence in the Low-country of South Carolina (language, food, community)
- Hip Hop: culture or fad?
- Booming Immigrant populations (Islamic, Asian, Indian, Hispanic): Are they integrated or isolated?
- The American South and the Global South
- "Race" and Region
We will notify accepted applicants by June 25, 2017.
*The South Carolina Project on Language and Culture (SCPLC) is a program of the Department of English and Modern Languages and the College of Education, Humanities, and Social Sciences, SC State University, Orangeburg, SC.