Do you need extra help?
Any SC State student can receive tutoring, and this service is absolutely FREE. Please stop by the Student Success and Retention Program office located in 115 Moss Hall to schedule a tutoring appointment. You will receive:
- Individual instruction tailored to your level of understanding.
- Instruction free of competition – allowing you to progress at your own pace.
- Encouragement and feedback.
- Skills demonstrated to you instead of simply verbalized.
The goal of the Tutoring Program is to assist students in becoming independent learners through the use of student skills and strategies that will help them succeed in classes across the curriculum. These services are not intended to replace direct instruction given by the instructors, but are designed to enhance studying and learning habits for students. Benefits of the program include:
- Increased proficiency in academic skills.
- Improved self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Improved attitudes toward academic studies.
- Positive role models.
Available SubjectsTutoring is available in the following subjects:
- COMPUTER SCIENCE
We are in need of TutorsAre you interested in helping your peers? We are in need of tutors in all areas of study. Peer tutoring can be a rewarding experience for everyone involved. As a tutor, you will receive:
- A sense of pride and accomplishment for having helped someone else.
- Increased academic mastery.
- A greater sense of dedication to your own instruction.
- Increased self-esteem, confidence, and sense of adequacy as a tutor.
- A new or increased sense of responsibility.
- Empathy for the students for whom learning may be much more of a struggle.
A tutor must be academically competent in one or more subject areas and have good interpersonal and communication skills. As a peer tutor, you will receive compensation based on an hourly rate. If you are interested in giving an hour or two each week to help another student, please contact the Student Success and Retention Program located in Moss Hall, or complete and return the application to 115 Moss Hall.
The Student Success and Retention Program offers free tutoring to all SC State University students. For more information about Tutoring services and Schedules, please call (803) 536-7142/8937, or stop by 115 Moss Hall.