Monday, June 21, 2010
Are you hot and looking for a cool, relaxing way to have fun? Well this summer, join SC State University’s Aquatics Program and learn swimming techniques and tactics that can help save your life. Various aquatics programs will be offered for the entire family, such as the following:
- Recreational swim for students provides students with a free and fun means of recreational exercise to help you stay in shape.
- Pool Rental provides pool rentals that are open and not limited to birthday parties, family reunions, church gatherings and social extracurricular activities. The pool rental will be based on an hourly fee.
- Basic swimming lessons provides emphasis on learning proper body position, buoyancy and body alignment, and allows the student to be comfortable in the water.
- Advanced swimming lessons provides continuation of stroke development and focuses on stroke improvement for freestyle, backstroke, elementary backstroke, and the introduction of breaststroke. Endurance and techniques are developed and perfected. Diving and underwater swimming will be introduced and developed.
- Water Aerobics is a non-impact exercise program taught by a certified water aerobics instructor. Water aerobic workouts usually combine a variety of techniques from land aerobics, which includes walking or running backward and forward and jumping jacks, along with the various arm movements. The workout also may incorporate equipment such as flotation devices.
Water workouts and training provides the following benefactors: low impact and lifetime sport. It also builds cardio-respiratory fitness and muscle mass, improves f flexibility, and promotes weight loss. It is also used as an alternative when injured, a relaxation tool and stress buster.
- Movies at the pool includes entertainment at the pool, such as a full length movie screen and supervised swimming.
- Rehabilitation for injuries provides low-impact rehabilitation exercises for physical injuries.
Session I for the SC State Aquatics Program is from Monday, June 7 through Saturday, June 19. Session II is from Monday, June 21 through Saturday, July 3. Session III begins on Monday, July 5 and extends through Saturday, July 17.
Swim lessons are $39 per session. Water aerobics are $25 per session. Community swim classes are $10 per session. Participants interested should make payments to SC State’s Cashier’s Office, located on the first floor of the Crawford-Zimmerman Complex located on the campus of SC State.
“We are here to serve the community. SC State’s Aquatics Program teaches children and adults how to swim effectively and efficiently,” said Dr. Crystal Nixon, director of the Aquatics Program. “I guarantee that your child will learn how to swim by the end of the summer.”
For additional information about the various aquatics programs that SC State offers, contact Gloria Drayton, administrative coordinator of the Aquatics Program, at (803) 536-8067. You may also contact Dr. Crystal Nixon at (803) 536-7054.