Saturday, March 26, 2011
SC State University’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which offers free tax assistance to qualifying individuals, gets underway during the month of February. Through the VITA program, trained community volunteers help with special credits, such as earned income tax credit, child tax credit and credit for the elderly and disabled. In addition to free tax return preparation assistance, SC State’s VITA program offers electronic filing (e-filing). Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program will receive their refunds in half the time compared to returns filed on paper. This year’s VITA sessions will be held on the following Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Belcher Hall 3rd floor computer lab: Feb. 5, Feb. 19, March 5, March 26 and April 9, 2011.
Qualified individuals, or those who receive a low to moderate income of $49,000 or lower and unable to prepare their own tax returns, must bring the following items to the site to have their tax return prepared:
- Proof of identification
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents, and/or a social security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G and 1099-R from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's social security number or the provider's business employer identification number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more information on SC State University’s VITA program, contact Anthony Masino, site coordinator, at (803) 536-8215, or via email at email@example.com.