Frequently Asked Questions

How will I know when my transcript has been mailed?
We do not send notification of the status of transcript orders. To obtain this information, please call the Transcript Office at (803) 536-8494.

What is the difference between an official transcript and an unofficial transcript?
The official transcript bears the university seal and signature of the Registrar. It provides only the record information recommended by the American Association of Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). The unofficial transcript provides academicl information that the student and the student's academic advisor can use to facilitate advisement and monitor progress toward program completion. The unofficial transcript is intended only for use within the university and by the student.

Who has access to my academic record?
Only the student and anyone he/she may authorize as his/her agent. SCSU officials who demonstrate a "legitimate educational interest" to the Registrar, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), may also access academic records.
Effective immediately, SC State University will no longer accept faxed transcript requests – all requests must be in writing with appropriate identification (current student identification, driver’s license, Department of Motor Vehicles or military identification card) accompanying request.

There is a "hold" on my record. What can I do?
You should contact the department that placed the hold on your record, e.g., Collections, Loans, etc. If you are unsure who placed the hold on your record, contact the Transcript Department at (803) 536-8494. Current and recently enrolled students may check for holds on Bulldogs Online.