Wednesday, January 16, 2013
The Board of Trustees of South Carolina State University invites nominations and applications for the position of President. As Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the University, the President is responsible for the total operation of the University and reports to the Board of Trustees.
South Carolina State University (SC State) is a historically Black public 1890 land-grant senior comprehensive institution of approximately 3,500 students. SC State is committed to providing affordable and accessible quality baccalaureate programs in the areas of business, applied professional sciences, mathematics, natural sciences, engineering, engineering technology, education, arts and humanities. A number of programs are offered at the master’s level in teaching, human services and agribusiness, and the educational specialist and doctorate programs are offered in educational administration. SC State University prepares highly skilled, competent and socially aware graduates to enable them to work and live productively in a dynamic, global society. Through technology and traditional methods of teaching and learning, research and service, the University enhances the quality of life of citizens and contributes to the economic development of the state and nation.
Located in Orangeburg, SC, the University is neighbor to Claflin University - another Historically Black institution of higher learning and Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College. Orangeburg, located between the capitol city of Columbia and the port city of Charleston, is also a few hours drive from Atlanta, GA, Charlotte, NC, Hilton Head, SC, and Myrtle Beach, SC.
Professional experience should include:
- An earned doctorate or equivalent from a traditional and accredited institution, preferably in higher education or one of the major discipline areas at South Carolina State University;
- Prior experience as a President of a college/university or CEO of a corporation, and with experience working with a governing Board;
- Proven track record of successful experience in working in a shared governance arena, with legislative and government entities, and with similar populations which South Carolina State University serves;
- Knowledge of accrediting bodies and all aspects of the accreditation process;
- A record of research and publications in peer-reviewed journals; and
- Successful fund raising experience.
- Ability to assess and make data-driven decisions
- Ability to build bridges with all internal and external community stakeholder groups;
- An understanding and belief in shared governance;
- An understanding of the mission of a land-grant institution and has the ability to incorporate that mission into the future movement of the University;
- Fiscally astute;
- Impeccable communication skills; including listening;
- Integrity, morality, and humility;
- Passionate about the students and student success;
- Respectful of the role of faculty in the academy; and
- Visionary with the ability to articulate and direct the vision from conception to fruition.
At a minimum, candidates must be/possess;
Screenings will include criminal, credit, employment, and educational history/background checks for all applicants. Persons interested in being considered for the position of President of SC State University may apply online at https://jobs.scsu.edu(the application process includes a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names, telephone numbers and email addresses of three references). Consideration will be given to documents received by February 24, 2013. Nominations should be submitted to Anna Haigler, Human Resources Director, via email at PRESIDENTIALSEARCH@SCSU.EDU. For additional information contact Ms. Haigler via email at PRESIDENTIALSEARCH@SCSU.EDU or by telephone at 803-536-7047.