Monday, September 08, 2008
ORANGEBURG, S.C. – SC State will formally welcome the class of 2012 and other new students at its annual Fall Convocation.
The Fall Convocation will be held in the Smith-Hammond-Middleton Memorial Center on Thursday, Sept. 11, at 3 p.m. In addition to being introduced to the SC State family, students will become familiar with all student organizations, athletic programs and the academic protocol in higher education.
The keynote address will be given by Dr. George E. Cooper, 10th President of SC State.
Prior to assuming his position at SC State, Dr. Cooper served as the deputy administrator for Science and Education Resources Development with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), in Washington, D.C. He has served in many capacities to include:
- National Program Leader, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension System, 1994 – 1995;
- Principal Animal Nutritionist and Coordinator of Strategic Planning, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cooperative State Research Service, Washington, D.C., 1991 – 1994;
- Professor of Animal Science, Alabama A & M University, Normal, Alabama, 1989 – 1991;
- Executive Assistant to the President and Professor of Animal Science, Alabama A & M University, Normal, Alabama, 1988 – 1989;
- Vice President for Academic Affairs, Alabama A & M University, Normal, Alabama, 1985 – 1988;
- Dean, School of Agriculture and Home Economics and Associate Professor of Animal Science, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, Alabama, 1983 – 1985;
- Dean, School of Applied Sciences and Associate Professor of Animal Science, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, Alabama, 1978 – 1983;
President Cooper, having assumed his position on July 16, continues to cast his vision for SC State to be a student-centered campus that will be accountable and embrace diversity.
The event is open to the public. For additional information, please contact Terrence Cummings, convocation chairman, at (803) 533-3721 or email@example.com.