SC State's Felton Laboratory School to Increase Tuition

Monday, June 08, 2009

Felton Laboratory School is a valued part of the SC State University family, and known as one of the premier laboratory schools in the country.



Currently, Felton Laboratory School charges $1000 per academic year per student. In an effort to assist Felton continue its cutting edge teaching and learning opportunities, the SC State University Board of Trustees voted today (June 5, 2009), to increase the annual tuition by $200, bringing the total yearly amount to attend Felton to $1200.



Felton Laboratory School’s new director Dr. Loretta Leapheart, will officially take over on July 1, 2009.



Felton is accepting applications for the 2009-2010 school years for Kindergarten through Eighth Grade.



Students who attend Felton Laboratory School are selected by application. Applications may be picked up at the school’s main office between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily.

Students who qualify for the Accelerated Learners Program will be assessed after acceptance.

The following information is required for students entering Felton Laboratory School to complete the application process:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Current S.C. Immunization Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Latest Grade Reports
  • Latest Achievement Test Results



Applications will be considered “incomplete” and will not be processed without the information requested above.



INFORMATION ABOUT FELTON LABORATORY SCHOOL

Felton Laboratory is located on the campus of South Carolina State University. Originally known as Felton Training School, Felton was established in 1920 as an outgrowth of kindergarten, which was developed under the guidance of Miss Sarah B. Henderson, an instructor of Kindergarten and Primary Methods. As part of the Department of Education, this program continued to grow as courses in methods, observations and directed teaching were added to the curriculum.



In 1924, a four-room building was donated by the joint cooperation of the General Education Board and the Rosenwald Fund for teacher education purposes in connection with normal course of study.



In 1964, with the expansion of the Teacher Education program, a new building was constructed for students in Kindergarten through Eighth Grade.

For more information on Felton Laboratory School, please call 803-536-7034.