Thursday, December 10, 2009
SC State University Police Department’s priority is to decrease criminal activity on the SC State campus. According to Michael Bartley, interim police chief for the SC State University Police Department, we can meet this challenge if students and the administration will consistently adhere to the following safety tips:
- Be aware! Know your surroundings and never let your guard down.
- Look around! Avoid dark areas that are not populated.
- Never walk alone! Make sure that you are accompanied by friends, or call the SC State University Police Department for a campus escort after dark.
- Tell someone where you are going and who you are going with.
- Be aware that men and women may interpret nonverbal behavior, including dress, differently than you do.
- Communicate clearly. Make sure that you are loud enough for others to hear if you are afraid.
- Don’t talk to strangers!
- Call the SC State University Police Department at (803) 516-4111 for emergencies.
If you witness any illegal activity, you are asked to contact the Crime Stoppers Tipline at (803) 536-8200. This anonymous voice-activated line is checked hourly.
Remaining alert and following these simple precautions might prevent you from becoming a victim.