logo for page printing

Program Achievement

Program Outcomes

Accreditation Term: 2007-2015

The graduate program in Rehabilitation Counseling at South Carolina State University is fully accredited by the Council On Rehabilitation Education (CORE) through 2015.
www.core-rehab.org

  1. Student Enrollment and Retention Rates
    The program admits students in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.  During the most recent three year period (AY 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013), the program admitted 125 students.


    During the same three year period, a total of 102 students graduated from the program, and four students elected to drop out of the program.  The program’s retention rate is 97%.  At this time, the program has a total enrollment of 55 students.


  2. Time for Program Completion
    Rehabilitation courses are typically offered in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semester.  Full-time students can complete the program’s curriculum in two years if they include summer semesters.  Part-time students usually complete the rehabilitation counseling program in three years.


  3. Estimated Cost of Program Attendance (Tuition and Fees)
    For students who elect to complete the 48 hour curriculum on a full time basis, (12 hours per semester), the estimated cost for tuition and fees is approximately $4,888 per semester for in state graduate students, and $9,455 for out of state graduate students.


  4. Available Scholarships
    The program has a total of six Rehabilitation Services Administration training grants, totaling $900,000 for the academic year 2013-2014.  75% of those funds support students through scholarships and monthly stipends.  These scholarships are very competitive, and students must demonstrate academic excellence and a commitment to the rehabilitation counseling profession to become eligible for an RSA scholarship.


  5. Employment Rate
    During the past three years, 102 students have graduated from the program.  Out of the 102 graduates, 60 (59%) secured employment with state federal vocational rehabilitations.  30 (29%) are employed in community rehabilitation programs and 12 (11%) have enrolled in doctoral programs.


    Of those who graduate 6 months ago, 29 out of 31 (94%) were employed at the time of graduation or within 6 months.


    Graduates are typically employed in following types of setting:
    (1)  State-Federal Vocational Rehabilitation
    (2)  Federal Rehabilitation
    (3)  Mental Health
    (4)  Drug and Alcohol Treatment Settings
    (5)  Goodwill Agencies
    (6)  Private Rehabilitation Counseling
    (7)  School Based Settings
    (8)  Hospitals
    (9)  University Based Programs for Persons with Disabilities
    (10) Community Based Rehabilitation Counseling Programs


  6. Eligibility for Licensure
    Students successfully completing the rehabilitation program requirements are eligible to take the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) Exam.


    If students complete the Licensed Profession Counselor concentration (2 additional courses), program graduates are eligible to take the licensure examination that is a prerequisite to becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of South Carolina.


  7. Passing Rates on Comprehensive and CRC Exam
    Comprehensive Examination
    Graduation from the Rehabilitation Counseling Program requires the students pass a comprehensive examination.  In the last three years, 102 students have taken this exam, and 90% of those students passed the first time, and the other 10% passed the second time.


    Additionally, over the past three years, 90% of the program’s graduates have passed the CRC exam in the first attempt.