The Role of the Office of Student Disability Services
- To inform prospective and new students about the availability of services and how to self-identify.
- To meet with students who self-identify as having a disability.
- To maintain confidential student files.
- To identify the physical or academic barriers for students with disabilities. Be an advocate for the removal of the barriers.
- To identify adaptive equipment, community resources, etc. for students with disabilities. Provide information on appropriate and reasonable accommodations, and refer students to appropriate resources.
- To serve as a liaison between students with disabilities and faculty/staff, the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, and other agencies.
- To provide activities or resource materials for South Carolina State University faculty and staff; promote awareness about students with disabilities.
- To serve as an advocate for students with disabilities.
- To participate in community disability related committees or events.
The Role of the Faculty and/or Staff
All faculty and/or staff are required to allow and/or to provide reasonable accommodation for students with documented disabilities.
Faculty members will;
- Provide or permit the reasonable and appropriate accommodation(s) as recommended for each student as outlined in the accommodation plan from the Office of Student Disability Services.
- Meet with the student to discuss the academic accommodations that are requested or recommended by the Office of Student Disability Services.
- Consult with the Office of Student Disability Services for clarification of a student’s accommodation plan and or any issue(s) related to reasonable accommodation.
- Maintain confidentiality of student accommodation requests.
- Refer students to the Office of Student Disability Services who request accommodations.
- Consult with the Office of Student Disability Services if a student with a disability exhibits inappropriate or disruptive classroom behavior.
- Other than providing the appropriate accommodations, treat the student with a disability the same as other students.
- Consult with the Office of Student Disability Services and or with the Vice President of Student Services if any outside agency or attorney contacts them regarding a student with a disability.
The Role of Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities are invited to self-identify. Students who request services must provide documentation that will support the need for services or accommodations.
- May voluntarily disclose his/her disability and provide current documentation of the disability, which includes a diagnosis and information regarding functional limitations.
- Must meet with the Office of Student Disability Services Coordinator each semester that an accommodation may be needed.
- Must provide the letter requesting accommodations to each of his/her instructor(s) and discuss the recommended accommodations with the instructor.
- Should notify the Office of Student Disability Services immediately if there are any questions or dispute about a reasonable academic accommodation request.
- Must comply with all South Carolina State University rules and regulations as outlined in the current South Carolina State University Student Catalog and Handbook.