Music Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Music Program at South Carolina State University is to provide students with educational and performance experiences that cultivate creativity, develop performance proficiency and enhance scholarly potential in a multifaceted global society. The music faculty and administration are committed to educational excellence for all students and strive to effectively instill the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities for students to pursue graduate study, careers as creative artists, and teaching careers in elementary and secondary schools. The Music Program is nationally accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. The Music Program offers the Bachelor of Science in Music Education and the Bachelor of Arts in Music with an emphasis in Music Industry.
Goal of the Music Program
The optimum goal of the Area of Music is to provide those music experiences whereby students will develop a high degree of musicianship as music educators, professional musicians, technologists, and knowledgeable consumers of music.
Objectives of the Music Program
- To demonstrate, by means of appropriate evaluative criteria, effective manipulative and organizational skills in the use of techniques and material emphasizing the expressive content and communicative qualities of artistic processes.
- To foster positive forces through music education that will continue to enhance the cultural and aesthetic life of the entire college community.
- To provide students with basic skills, techniques, pedagogical concepts—insights, perspectives for careers as performing artists, elementary and secondary school teachers, and music technologists.
- To interpret, create, and maintain the highest level in individual and group performance.
- To prepare majors for graduate study.
- To be flexible, accept challenge, and be willing to experiment with new ideas and new methods involving technology.
Music Program Majors
- Bachelor of Science in Music Education
With Concentrations in:
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Industry
The Music Program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and just recently received reaffirmation for another 10-year cycle.
Music Program Coordinator
Dr. Rosetta Dingle