logo for page printing

Immunizations Requirements

All students South Carolina State University are required to provide documentation of immunizations that protects from serious illnesses and even death before registration. All Immunization records must be signed and verified by a physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or stamped by the health care facility. Your immunization record must include the month, day and year vaccine was given. All immunization records must be submitted in English.

Required Immunizations

  • M.M.R. (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
  •        (2 doses required at least 28 days apart for students born 1957 or later and all health
           sciences students)

           Dose given at age 12 months or later

           Dose given at least 28 days after first dose

  • Meningococcal Vaccine:Proof of a conjugate meningococcal vaccine (Menactra/ Menveo, Menomune,) or a signed waiver declining the vaccine is required of all entering students under age 21. If vaccine received before age 16, booster is required.
  • Tuberculosis: If you have traveled/lived outside of the United States within the last 5 years to: Asia, Africa, South America, Central America, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe or former Soviet Union. (See attached list)
  • Tetanus (DTap, DTP, DT, Td or Tdap): Booster within the last ten years

Recommended Immunizations

  • Hepatitis A (2 doses)
  • Hepatitis B (3 doses)
  • Varicella (chicken pox) - (2 doses)
  • Quadrivalent/Bivalent: Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (HPV) (3 doses/ 2doses)
  • Influenza (flu)

Should you need your immunization record or need to update your immunization history, please check with your health care provider or local health district. If necessary, the above immunization is available for a nominal fee. Please contact the health center for fees and to schedule an appointment.



Immunization Exemptions:

Immunization requirement waivers may be obtained for the following reasons:

  • students born before 1957
  • students registered only in off campus courses or distance learning
  • religious and medical exemptions (required forms with official documentation).